I happened across nutritional yeast at the grocery store over the weekend and remembered seeing it featured in a recent Women’s Health Magazine article. So I grabbed it, did a quick Wikipedia search and decided to give it a whirl as a parmesan and pine nut substitue in pesto sauce! I absolutely love pesto sauce and though it is nutritious it is quite high in calories. Nutritional yeast sports a cheesy and nutty flavour making it the perfect substituting for parmesan and pine nuts, slashing the pesto’s calories and fat.
- 1.5 cups fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- Place all ingredients into a food processor and blend into a smooth paste.
- Throw it over pasta, pizza dough or on a sandwich and enjoy!
Makes 1 cup.
Per tbsp: 37 calories, 1 g carbs, 0 g sugar, 3 g fat, 1 g protein, 0 g fibre