I hope everyone had a super fun Canada Day! Sorry I haven’t posted in a while – Dave and I spent the long weekend in Vancouver so I was away from my kitchen. Naturally I spent most of the trip doing research for Just Indulgence (read: I gorged myself at every restaurant). We had jumbo prawn garnished cesares, raw oysters, coconut curry, congee, fried rice, chow mein, wonton soup, miso baked tofu, tuna tataki, decadent sushi rolls, green tea ice cream, parsley and truffle fries, smoked salmon salad rolls, bean salads, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, antipasto plates, BBQ chicken, saffron rice, mango jicama salad, lemon baked cauliflower, raspberry cake with cream cheese frosting, rice crispy squares, omelets, huevos rancheros and organic raspberry rhubarb pie with vanilla gelato, to name a few…
Here’s a lasagna post I meant to make last week before I got caught with my mouth full in Vancouver:
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not oil-packed)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced red pepper
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp marjoram (optional)
- 1/4 tsp rosemary
- 1/4 tsp sage
- 22 oz/700 ml low sodium pasta sauce
- 19 oz/540 ml can diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 2 cups low fat ricotta cheese
- 1 cup light feta cheese
- 300 g spinach
- 3 egg whites
- 12 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 1/2 cups shredded light mozzarella cheese
- Soak sun-dried tomatoes in 1 cup boiling water, while you prepare sauce.
- Heat olive oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, stir until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add red pepper, zucchini and mushrooms and stir until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add dried spices, pasta sauce, diced tomatoes, basil, vinegar, pepper and drained and diced sun-dried tomatoes. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce temperature and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Cook lasagna noodles as per package instructions.
- Mix ricotta, feta, spinach and egg whites in a medium bowl.
- Spread a thin layer of tomato-veggie mixture over bottom of 9″ x 13″ oil-sprayed lasagna dish. Cover with 4 lasagna noodles, followed by 1/3 of remaining tomato-veggie mixture, 1/3 ricotta mixture, and 1/3 mozzarella. Repeat. Finish with 4 lasagna noodles, remaining tomato-veggie mixture and mozzarella
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Let cool for 15 minutes, plate and enjoy!
Makes 8 servings.
Per serving: 358 calories, 38 g carbs (11 g sugar), 13 g fat, 23 g protein, 6 g fibre