This is by far my new favorite way to eat eggs. I had had this for breakfast while on vacation last week and couldn’t wait to get home to make it in my own kitchen. Since Dave and I always eat the same thing for breakfast, I had to make them for dinner, which was a great excuse to whip up some kale tabbouleh on the side.
I used 4 whole eggs and about 4 egg whites, but you can swing the ratios to suit your calorie fat cholesterol protein profile.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 roma tomato, cut into eighths
- 1/4 red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 large eggs
- 4 egg whites (1/4 cup)
- 2 tbsp crumbled light feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in medium pan over medium heat.
- Toss in tomato, red pepper, onion and garlic and stir until onion softens, about 3 minutes.
- Crack eggs into pan and pour egg whites around edges and to fill in gaps.
- Turn heat to low-medium, cover and let cook until eggs cook through to medium (or as long as desired), about 5 minutes. Toss in feta, mint and pepper 2 minutes before eggs are done.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Makes 2 servings.
Per serving: 265 calories, 8 g carbs, 15 g fat, 24 g protein, 1 g fibre