Though I absolutely adore eggs, I never make them in the morning as Dave and I make the most amazing steel cut oats breakfast EVER (so good we can’t go a day without them – I’ll post the recipe some day), so I’ve had to incorporate quiches and frittatas into the dinner menu instead!
This one was a bit of work dealing with the peppers, but so worth it in the end!
For the quiche:
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and halved
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper, seeded and halved
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp mined garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 medium potatoes, sliced 1/4″ thick
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% evaporated milk
- 1 cup shredded low fat cheddar cheese
- 1 bunch asparagus spears
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place peppers inside down on baking sheet sprayed in cooking oil. Toss onions and garlic in olive oil and distribute over another baking sheet sprayed in cooking oil.
- Broil on high (onions for 5 minutes, peppers until charred and blistered – careful with this: I set off my smoke detector! Open some windows I guess…). Remove onions from oven and set aside in medium bowl.
- Set oven temperature to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Removed peppers from oven and let cool until safe to touch. Peel off skin with parring knife and slice peppers into thin strips. Mix peppers in with onions.
- Steam potatoes for 10-12 minutes until cooked through.
- Assemble quiche: layer half the potatoes on bottom of quiche pan sprayed in cooking oil, followed by half onion pepper mixture and half cheese. Repeat.
- Whisk eggs and milk together and pour over quiche.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until cooked through. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- While quiche is cooking, toss asparagus, oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper together and arrange on baking sheet.
- With 10 minutes left on quiche cooktime add asparagus to oven. Flip asparagus after 10 minutes when removing quiche. Let cook for 10 more minutes while quiche cools. Serve quiche and asparagus together and enjoy!
Makes 4 servings of quiche.
Carbs 30 g
Sugars 8 g
Fat 11 g
Protein 19 g
Fiber 4 g