Hot summer days call for light summer salads! We were totally craving Mexican food yesterday to go along with all the heat, but figured we’d replace the carbs from the fajita tortilla shells with a couple of Coronas 🙂
- 2 chicken breasts (450 g)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 10 drops tabasco sauce
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 cup sliced white mushrooms
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- 60 g light feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime
- Slice chicken into long strips.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in large frying pan.
- Add chicken strips and stir until all sides are cooked, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, add in chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, oregano, cayenne, pepper and tabasco.
- Add bell pepper, onion and mushrooms. Stir and cook until vegetables soften. Remove from heat.
- Divide baby spinach among serving plates and top with chicken and veggies, followed by avocado, feta and cilantro.
- Serve with lime wedge on the side and enjoy!
Makes 4 servings.
Per serving: 386 calories, 18 g carbs (4 g sugar), 14 g fat, 43 g protein, 8 g fibre , 334 mg sodium
This was one of those use up the leftovers in your fridge kind of stir frys. I wanted to keep it really light and low-calorie as I had eaten about half a Terry’s Chocolate Orange (thanks for nothing, Mom) yesterday afternoon and was feeling pretty guilty…
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 2 baby bok choy, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 lemon
- pepper to taste
- Cut chicken breast into bite size pieces and cook in olive oil over medium heat until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger and leeks and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add bok choy and peppers and cook until softened.
- Turn heat off, squeeze in lemon juice and grind in pepper (I like to hammer it with TONS of pepper).
- Serve over quinoa, rice or any other grain you like!
Makes 2 servings.
Per serving: 293 calories, 21 g carbs (8 g sugar), 11 g fat, 30 g protein, 3 g fibre
Flipping through a recent edition of Women’s Health Magazine I decided to try this recipe out for the simple reason that it’s a whole meal cooked in one clean convenient package.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 lemon, sliced thinly
- 1 medium zucchini, halved and cut into 1 inch segments
- 16 baby carrots
- 16 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 16 asparagus spears, trimmed
- 16 slices of white mushrooms
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place each chicken breast in the centre of a 14-inch square piece of parchment paper. Layer lemon, zucchini, carrots, tomatoes, asparagus, mushrooms and basil evenly over each breast. Sprinkle each breast with wine and olive oil.
- Fold parchment paper to close and arrange packages on baking sheet. Bake 14 to 16 minutes (or longer depending on size of breasts).
- Place each package on dinner plate and serve closed.
Makes 4 servings.
Carbs 13 g
Fat 12 g
Protein 41 g
Fiber 5 g