On Saturday we celebrated the soon-to-be motherhood of one of my best friends. In preparation for the 53 confirmed guests, we got started cooking on Friday night and basically didn’t stop until 3 PM the next day (my feet were killing me from the kitchen tile)! With six pairs of hands we managed to pull of decorations, goodie bags, and 17 menu items! So expect a few finger-food posts this week.
These fruit pops were a total party hit! I saw them go by on Pinterest (where would we be without it) and thought they’d be a fun little treat for the guests. Plus the fruit and dark chocolate has got to make them kind of healthy… right? I’m actually thinking of making a chocolate-free version as an everyday frozen treat.
- 2 bananas, each cut into 12 pieces
- 12 medium strawberries, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 pineapple, cut into 24 bite-size pieces
- 150 g dark chocolate
- 2 tsp coconut oil, though any oil will work
- 24 toothpicks
- 2 tbsp each flaked coconut and chopped almonds for topping
- Skewer a piece of strawberry (on top), banana and pineapple (on bottom) onto each toothpick.
- Arrange all pops on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze for at least 30 minutes. I had left them over night to break up prep time for these.
- Melt chocolate with coconut oil using a double boiler. You can also do this in the microwave, but use short 20 second burst to avoid burning the chocolate.
- Remove pops from freezer and dip half of each piece in chocolate, press in topping (coconut or almond separately, or both together!) and return to baking sheet, standing them up on their side.
- Return tray to freezer. Remove 5 minutes before serving to let soften and then enjoy!
Makes 24 pops.
Per pop (not including toppings): 50 calories, 8 g carbs, 2 g fat, <1 g protein, 1 g fibre