Yesterday I biked ALL the way to the grocery store (okay, it was only 15 minutes) to find they didn’t have the large whole wheat pitas I was excited to use as pizza crust. So what’s a health nut to do? Not compromise with white flour pitas, that’s for sure! Nope, they actually got a whole lot healthier and lower calorie (only 100 per piece) with zucchini!
I had remembered seeing a zucchini pizza go by on my pinterest feed, so I figured it was a good time to check it out. The verdict is: total winner!
- 2 medium zucchini
- olive oil spray
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 4 sticks turkey pepperoni (120 g)
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 120 g light mozzarella, shredded
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- Cut zucchinis lengthwise into four slabs.
- Place on baking sheet covered in parchment paper and spray lightly with olive oil.
- Broil on high until they just start to brown, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cover with toppings.
- Broil on high until cheese browns.
- Sprinkle on red pepper flakes, serve and enjoy!
Makes 8 “slices”.
Per slice: 100 calories, 8 g carbs, 5 g fat, 8 g protein, 2 g fibre