Yesterday I biked ALL the way to the grocery store (okay, it was only 15 minutes) to find they didn’t have the large whole wheat pitas I was excited to use as pizza crust. So what’s a health nut to do? Not compromise with white flour pitas, that’s for sure! Nope, they actually got a whole lot healthier and lower calorie (only 100 per piece) with zucchini!
I had remembered seeing a zucchini pizza go by on my pinterest feed, so I figured it was a good time to check it out. The verdict is: total winner!
- 2 medium zucchini
- olive oil spray
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 4 sticks turkey pepperoni (120 g)
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 120 g light mozzarella, shredded
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- Cut zucchinis lengthwise into four slabs.
- Place on baking sheet covered in parchment paper and spray lightly with olive oil.
- Broil on high until they just start to brown, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cover with toppings.
- Broil on high until cheese browns.
- Sprinkle on red pepper flakes, serve and enjoy!
Makes 8 “slices”.
Per slice: 100 calories, 8 g carbs, 5 g fat, 8 g protein, 2 g fibre
This is quite possibly the most delicious dinner I’ve made – though it might be a tie with Mexican lasagna, which will be posted soon – AND it’s vegetarian!
- 1 cup large flake oats
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 eggs
- 2 medium eggplants
- olive oil cooking spray
- 3 cups pasta sauce (low sodium if possible)
- 1 cup shredded light mozzarella
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- Combine oats, parmesan and basil in a shallow bowl or deep plate.
- Beat eggs with a fork in another shallow bowl or deep plate.
- Cut each eggplant into 8 round slices.
- Dip each eggplant round into the egg and then press it into the oat mixture, coating both sides.
- Place coated eggplant rounds onto a baking sheet sprayed in olive oil. Spray tops of eggplant rounds.
- Bake eggplant at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes, turning and spraying with olive oil half way through.
- Assemble lasagna by spooning 1 cup pasta sauce over bottom of 9″ x 13″ casserole dish. Follow by half the eggplant rounds, another cup of pasta sauce, half the mozzarella and repeat.
- Sprinkle parsley on top and bake for 20 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven, plate and enjoy!
Makes 8 servings.
Per serving: 205 calories, 24 g carbs, 8 g fat, 12 g protein, 5 g fibre