Gumbo is pretty healthy as it is, with all those onions, tomatos and other stewed veggies, but I figured why not make it even healthier?! So I cut the sausage and substituted it for some lean pork tenderloin! Though one serving is only 337 calories, I couldn’t even finish my plate with all the spice, super filling veggies and lean protein. Super comforting and super healthy – this is my kind of meal.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb pork tenderloin, cut into 1″ cubes
- 2 cups sliced white mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 large (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 2 cups cubed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- Heat olive oil in large pot. Add pork and stir until cooked on all sides, about 8 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, celery, onions and garlic. Stir until veggies soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, ginger, cumin, oregano, chilis, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add sweet potatoes and zucchini and simmer another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once sweet potatoes are soft, remove from heat, stir in cilantro and serve hot. Enjoy!
Makes 4 servings.
Per serving: 337 calories, 39 g carbs, 6 g fat, 32 g protein, 8 g fibre