This was one of those use up the leftovers in your fridge kind of stir frys. I wanted to keep it really light and low-calorie as I had eaten about half a Terry’s Chocolate Orange (thanks for nothing, Mom) yesterday afternoon and was feeling pretty guilty…
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 2 baby bok choy, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 lemon
- pepper to taste
- Cut chicken breast into bite size pieces and cook in olive oil over medium heat until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger and leeks and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add bok choy and peppers and cook until softened.
- Turn heat off, squeeze in lemon juice and grind in pepper (I like to hammer it with TONS of pepper).
- Serve over quinoa, rice or any other grain you like!
Makes 2 servings.
Per serving: 293 calories, 21 g carbs (8 g sugar), 11 g fat, 30 g protein, 3 g fibre
Yesterday was National Pita Day according to Extreme Pita (half price pitas all day with proceeds going towards the Heart & Stroke Foundation) so Dave and I resolved to eat pitas for all three of our meals. Sadly our plan was foiled as upon arrival for the final pita of the day we are greeted by a glowing neon “CLOSED” sign. Still hungry and not willing to sink to Subway for dinner, I had to improvise with what little was left in the fridge at home… and it turned out great!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 inch ginger, thinly sliced
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 2 cups sliced white mushrooms
- 1/2 green pepper, sliced
- 1/2 head red cabbage, sliced
- 1 package (350 g) extra firm tofu, cubed
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Heat oil over medium heat. Sauté garlic, ginger, onion for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, peppers and cabbage and cook until peppers and cabbage soften.
- Add tofu, quinoa, chili flakes, lime juice and soy sauce and stir for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, serve and enjoy!
Makes 4 servings.
Carbs 25 g
Sugars 6 g
Fat 11 g
Protein 16 g
Fibre 5 g